Relieving Stress During the Golden Years
In many ways, the later parts of our life can be peaceful: retiring from work, enjoying family, and getting to do what makes you happy can all be reasons these are called the golden years. But at the same time, aging is associated with a range of both physically and mentally stressful situations. While there is no way to completely avoid many symptoms of aging, a Charlotte chiropractor like Dr. Grant Lisetor can help with ways to manage stressors during the golden years.
How Stress Appears in Older Adults
There are a variety of reasons that the older population may experience more stress than others, and many situations can exacerbate mental and physical health problems. Common reasons cited for stress among the elderly include:
- Financial insecurity due to loss of income and high costs of living and medical care
- Loss of spouses, friends, and family members
- Reduced independence, declining physical abilities, and more reliance on others
- Health issues can cause stress, both on the body and in terms of declining mental health
Along with these situations, it is also common for adults to suffer from chronic pain by the time they reach old age, and the body has usually experienced a good deal of wear-and-tear by the time a person reaches senior status. There is a higher risk of falling and breaking bones, a higher risk of many diseases, and immunity can be depleted.
It is important that seniors do not become inactive because of health issues and do not let their medical care lapse. Maintaining a healthy life and quality healthcare are vital, and avoiding these things leads to a cyclical problem that creates more stress.
Managing Stress in Elders
It is critical that seniors are able to regulate mood, maintain balance, and engage in positive habits in order to reduce stress. Some simple ways to help can include the following:
- Accept circumstances that can’t be changed
- Focus on a positive attitude
- Practice becoming assertive
- Develop hobbies
- Find a community of like-minded people
- Refrain from vices like drugs or alcohol
- Use deep breathing techniques
- Maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine
Another positive habit that can be helpful is regular chiropractic care from the team at Greater Life Chiropractic.
How Chiropractic Care Helps Seniors Relieve Stress
Chiropractic care from a Charlotte chiropractor can help seniors manage some of the causes of their stress as well as the effects they have on the body. By focusing on alignment of the spine and holistic wellness, Dr. Grant Lisetor has seen huge benefits to the older population.
Some results of chiropractic care in the elderly can include:
- An increase in immune system function
- Pain relief, especially for those with osteoarthritis and spinal compression fractures as a result of lowered bone density
- Improved balance and coordination, which can prevent falls
- Increased flexibility and range of motion to help maintain movement and quality of life
These and other improvements help older people to maintain their quality of life for as long as possible. Whether you or a loved one are in your golden years or simply want to be proactive, the team at Greater Life Chiropractic is here to help. Contact us today for your first appointment to begin experiencing stress relief now.
Whittingham, W., Nilsson, N. “Active range of motion in the cervical spine increases after spinal manipulation.” Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics, 2001 Nov-Dec; 24(9): 552-5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11753327